Robert A. and Catherine A. Janson Scholarship Fund
Bob and Cathie Janson have established this scholarship fund to provide scholarships to graduates of Mt. Pleasant High School or Oasis High School who are seeking educational opportunities at a university or community college. The love of education has been the focus of their lives. This scholarship opportunity gives them the chance to support others to further their studies.
Bob grew up in Frankenmuth and was the first in his family to graduate from college. After graduation from Central Michigan University, he began a 35 year career in education. His career began in St. Clair Shores, MI as a teacher and coach. After earning advanced degrees at Eastern Michigan University and Wayne State, he became superintendent of the Lakeview Public Schools. In 1981, the family moved to Mt. Pleasant where he was superintendent of schools from 1981 until 1997.
Cathie grew up in suburban Detroit and was also the first in her family to graduate from college, also from Central Michigan University. After their marriage, Cathie also began her teaching career with the Lakeview Public Schools. After moving to Mt. Pleasant, she continued her teaching career with the St. Louis Public Schools and Central Michigan University. Her career spanned 30 years.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Be a graduating senior of Mt. Pleasant High School or Oasis High School who will be attending a university, college, or community college.
- Demonstrate academic ability with a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average.
- Financial need as described in the required essay.
- Financial need shall be a factor as stated in the required essay.
- Consideration given to minority students.
- Applicants considering a career in teacher education.
2016 Scholarship Award: $700
Application Deadline: March 4, 2016