Jeffrey Vernon Memorial Scholarship Fund
When Jeff was born with a severe heart defect, he was not expected to live past his 18th birthday. Yet, as a gift of God's great mercy, Jeff lived to be 33 years old. Jeff graduated from Mt. Pleasant High School in 1984 with an award in broadcasting. He continued his education at Central Michigan University, where he graduated in 1990 with a major in Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. After graduation, Jeff established a career in broadcasting culminating in 1996 as cast director and producer at WAVY 9&10 in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Two years later, Jeff developed congestive heart failure and died awaiting a heart transplant. The crowning act of his life was completed in that Jeff, instead of becoming an organ recipient, was still able to give of himself as a donor of bone, tissues and more. The Jeffrey Vernon Memorial Scholarship Fund awards a scholarship to a graduating senior who has attended the Mt. Pleasant Area Technical Center and who displays outstanding achievement in the field of broadcasting, electronics, radio/TV or electricity. Recipients must recognize and acknowledge the God-given gift of human life, no matter how weak or frail.
Jeffrey Vernon Memorial Scholarship Criteria:
- Display outstanding achievement in the field of electronics, radio/TV or electricity.
- Be a student for at least 2 semesters at the Mt. Pleasant Area Technical Center.
- Be a graduating senior attending, or who has attended, the Mt. Pleasant Area Technical Center.
- Be accepted to a university or college to complete career preparation.
- Exhibit outstanding attitude toward school and community.
2014 Scholarship Award: $500
Application Deadline: March 5, 2014
Download an application for the Jeffrey Vernon Scholarship