Kristopher Walden "Waldo" Arts Scholarship Fund
The fun-loving and artistic legacy of Mt. Pleasant's Kristopher Walden lives on through a scholarship fund established with the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation.
Honoring his generous spirit, Kris’ father and mother, J.B. Walden and Marilyn Hill, along with his close friends, established the fund to provide scholarships to Mt. Pleasant graduates who are pursuing an art-related field at an accredited university or college.
Walden, or "Waldo" to friends and family, graduated from Mt. Pleasant High School in 1979 before attending Central Michigan University. A highly-talented artist, he spent 25 years working as an illustrator and graphic artist.
However, his true passion was the fine arts, particularly detailed drawing and painting. Kris was forever fun loving, and brought great joy to everyone. He was also a very kind person, and enjoyed helping others, especially those challenged by age or disability.
Kris died in May 2007 in Newport Beach, California where he lived. He was 45 years old.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Be a graduate of an Isabella County High School.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Be taking classes leading to a career in the arts (Fine Arts, Art Education, Architecture, Art Therapy, Art History, Graphic Design, Gallery Direction, Illustration, Museum Curator, Animation, Art Conservation, Interior Design, Product Design, Fashion Design or Industrial Design).
- Be a sophomore level student or above to apply, and a junior level or above to receive the award.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of B minus or above.
- The desire to establish a career in an art related field, as expressed in a written essay accompanying the application.
- Financial need shall be a factor, as explained in the written essay.
- Excel artistically, as demonstrated by recommendations from instructor(s) or professor(s).
- Involvement in his/her community.
- Academic achievement, as demonstrated by his/her grades.
2015 Scholarship Award: $500
Application Deadline: March 6, 2015